People come in different shapes and sizes, so it isn’t a surprise to know that they also come with different skin types, as some people have shiny and oily skin, while others have dry and flakey skin. Dermatologists categorized skin types according to its appearance and general characteristics, as well as the amount of oils it produces, here we introduce you to the 4 major categories:
Oily skin:This type of skin contains a higher amount of fats and oils than the rest, so people with oily skin are more prone to the appearance of blackheads and pimples, it also has more open pores than the rest, and appears shinier as well.
Dry skin:unlike the rest, the pores of dry skin are not usually visible to the naked eye, they lack elasticity, and they are dry to the touch, and those who have this skin type may notice the appearance of some widespread red spots.
The characteristics of normal skin can be summed up as not oily and dry, its sensitivity to external factors is somewhat low, and the pores of the skin are not clearly visible.
This skin type combines both dry and oily skin, as the skin of the forehead, nose and chin appears either as oily or dry skin, and the rest of the face is the opposite, it also appears that the pores in the oily regions larger than the rest of the skin, Combination skin is characterized by the appearance of blackheads.
How do you find out your skin type?
You can determine your skin type by following a few steps:
- Wash the skin with a mild cleanser.
- Dry the skin using a soft clean dry cloth.
- Take notes regarding the amount of secreted oils and skin texture during the next hours after completing the previous steps.
- According to the types we mentioned earlier, it is possible to notice flaking in dry skin, a layer of grease on oily skin, and the appearance of both signs on a combination skin, while Normal appears unchanged.
General skin care tips:
Regardless of your skin type, there are a few things you can do to keep your skin healthy and reduce the problems that may appear with neglect. Here we mention some simple healthy skin tips:
- Always make sure to put sunscreen before leaving the house and reapply it every two hours.
- Quit smoking of all kinds even passive smoking, because of its negative effects on the skin, and its collagen; as it is the protein responsible of the skin flexibility.
- Always keep the skin moisturized according to its type.
- Try your best to control stress and anxiety as they possess a true threat on the health of the skin and increase the possibility of having skin conditions.
- Eat healthy meals that are rich in elements and vitamins that support skin’s health, such as zinc and biotin, you also hydrate your skin from the inside by drinking a generous amount of water.
Jaliman, Debra. “Skin Types and Care: Normal, Dry, Oily, Combination, Sensitive.” WebMD, WebMD, 9 Mar. 2021.
Fletcher , Jenna. “What Type of Skin Do I Have? List of Skin Types and Their Signs.” Medical News Today, MediLexicon International, 27 Oct. 2020.
“5 Tips for Healthy, Glowing Skin.” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 15 Oct. 2019.
Vann, Madeline R., and Lisa Rapaport. “The Best Care for Your Skin Type: Everyday Health.” com, 22 Jan. 2007, www.everydayhealth.com/skin-beauty/skin-care-101.aspx.